Tuesday 15 May 2012

Ninth day

(Apologies -  I've just seen that I hadn't actually published yesterday's post - sorry. I thought I had, but must have been a little too tired!)

It's events like this ride which really make you focus on the basics of life: what am I going to eat? where am I going to sleep tonight?  and what's the weather going to be like?

Today was all about the wind. We knew the forecast was showery, with a westerly wind, which wasn't too helpful since we were heading towards the Great Glen (ie north-west from Dunblane), with a couple of sections which were essentially due west - so heading into it. Whilst we left Dunblane in the dry
 we soon got the first of the day's showers, and I regretted not putting overshoes (waterproof covers) on my shoes. Spent the rest of the day with wet feet! silly. The rain stopped briefly, so we did too, for the first of our routine breaks (usually a pee and a banana, in that order) by a lovely loch that was quite sheltered from the wind.

 More showers and wind, and we were steadily climbing too, so it wasn't too long before we had our first sight of snow in the distance.


I had quite a day's training because after taking a photo I had to catch John up at each time. I must have done about 30 'effort's during the day. That's John disappearing into the distance!... 
 and again below! But this time the showers had stopped but the wind was stronger as we came over the moorland before we got to the head of Glen Coe.
The wind was directly in our faces now
 but the scenery was magnificent - so much water!
 and we arrived at the B&B -actually a self catering chalet - a little later than planned, having overshot the turning.
Dodgy internet connection, so can't write any more!

1 comment:

  1. You are just dropping back to the support car for a push! :) Can we have a photo of Nessie please?

    ReplyDelete